Monday, May 2, 2016

Marcel Duchamp

This video shows Marcel Duchamp's Rotary Demisphere which I read about in the http://www.understandingduchamp.com time line of his work. In 1925 he created a machine that creates an illusion of simultaneous rotation in opposite directions. When making this he was interested in optics and motion, and published many other designs like this. This definitely influenced other art and is still used today. I thought it was interesting that it was done with words as well, not that I know what they say. The illusion in some of the designs in the end are really trippy and it is hard to even grasp how it was made. The black background helps make the circle pop. I love that this design and concept is still being used and I love to see the old with the new era art, so it made me think of this video I saw recently that resembled this in a new way.
This is art made out of sand and is done live, which I thought was extraordinary. It is obviously more detailed and incorporates a lot of different lines opposed to Duchamp's, but it still creates illusions of simultaneous rotation in opposite directions. I think video along with the other video shows the evolution of art well.

No comments:

Post a Comment