Thursday, April 28, 2016

Minstrel Shows

Anything to do with segregation gets me pretty upset. Living in the time I live now, I can not put myself in the mind set, or see how white people could have the mind set they did back when segregation was horrible. I never thought of broadway when I thought about segregation but this video taught me something new. It is sad that colored people where once not aloud on stage or even up close to stage; but they were mocked on stage. I understand that it was"funny" because white people's faces where painted black with a drastic contrast of their lips being white, making expressions look more dramatic. But, the way they stole colored people's song and ideas, and falsely representing them on stage is wrong. Also I think it is funny that the broadways that I have seen of colored people, I actually enjoy more; so it is sad they were not aloud to entertain as much. I am glad that we as a society have grown from this and continue to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment