Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Madama Butterfly

This video took me by surprise. I am not into opera but I found this video really interesting. From the beginning it caught my eye because the main characters are dolls; then these dolls start making love rather detailed. I was surprised that the video started like that since there was so much time left in the video left even after the man left. It kept me wondering what was going to happen next. Then what also got me thinking was how abstract it was; her baby started out as a fish and then they were attached by a string and flying each other like kites. I later realized the string was the umbilical cord. Through out the whole video, even though it was dolls, the emotion felt real especially at the end when her love rips the umbilical cord from the mother without even looking and takes her child with his new family. The mother doll walking off set and disassembling herself really resembled and triggered the emotion of the hurt she was feeling. I'm a bit confused on the over all meaning of the story since the end is the same as the beginning with the butterfly on her head, but overall I enjoyed this video and it kept my attention forcing me to listen to the whole opera song. 

No comments:

Post a Comment